Skip to main content

FOI 2024 009 - Contraceptive spend


Information Requested:

Can you provide me with data on the annual spending on contraceptive services by health boards in Wales, from 2013/14 to present? I work for the University of Liverpool and am looking into the relationship between local authority/public sector spending on contraceptive services and poverty, in Wales, England and Scotland.  

The Annual Reports of the health boards (I have looked so far at Cardiff and Vale, Powys and Aneurin Bevan) do not include such a breakdown. Nor does the DHCW collect this data, but a colleague there suggested I contact you. 


Information provided for the answer:

Thank you for your request dated 11th January 2024.  

Public Health Wales does not hold this information.  

Public Health Wales is the public health service for Wales and as such is an independent NHS Trust. Therefore, do not have access to this information. As an organisation we have no jurisdiction over the activities of other NHS Wales organisations and frequently do not have access to the data that they produce.  

I have provided contact details for NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (NWSSP) and the health boards at the end of this response, as they may hold this information. You would need to contact them individually for this information. 


NHS Shared Services Partnership  

Making a Freedom of Information Request - NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership 

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board 

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board 

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board  

Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board 

Swansea Bay University Health Board 

Hywel Dda University Health Board 

Powys Teaching Health Board 


I am very sorry we are unable to help on this occasion.


If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of the decision, you should write to the Corporate Complaints Manager, Public Health Wales NHS Trust, 3, Number 2, Capital Quarter, Tyndall Street, Cardiff, CF10 4BZ.

If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint or review, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the Trust. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner for Wales
2nd Floor
Churchill House
Churchill Way
CF10 2HH

Telephone: 029 2067 8400