Skip to main content

FOI 985 - Fertility Treatment for transgender patients


Information Requested:

We request the following under the Freedom of Information Act 2000:

1.Which of these fertility treatments do you provide for your transgender patients? 
a.    Egg harvesting 
b.    Cryopreservation of eggs 
a)    How long do you offer cryopreservation of eggs for?
c.    Extraction of sperm, both surgical and self-ejaculatory
d.    Cryopreservation of sperm 
a)    How long do you offer cryopreservation of sperm for? 
e.    IVF Embryo Treatment 
f.    Embryo cryopreservation 
a)    How long do you offer embryo cryopreservation for?
g.    Ovarian Tissue Extraction and Cryopreservation
a)    How long do you offer cryopreservation of ovarian tissue for? 
2. What, if any, are the youngest ages of patients that are entitled to receive these treatments?
h.    Egg harvesting 
i.    Egg cryopreservation
j.    Sperm harvesting 
k.    Sperm cryopreservation
l.    IVF Embryo Treatment 
m.    Embryo cryopreservation
n.    Ovarian Tissue Extraction and Cryopreservation 
3. If you have answered no to any of the above questions, what is the “strong justification” that your CCG has for not funding this fertility treatment?


Information provided for the answer:

Thank you for your recent request dated 4th October 2022.

Public Health Wales do not hold this data, it is important to note that Public Health Wales is the public health service for Wales and as such is an independent NHS Trust. This is NOT the same as NHS Wales. As an organisation we have no jurisdiction over the activities of Health Boards and frequently do not have access to the data that they produce.

I have provided contact details for each Health Board below, I suggest you contact them for the information you require.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board

Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board

Swansea Bay University Health Board

Hywel Dda University Health Board

Powys Teaching Health Board

If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of the decision, you should write to the Corporate Complaints Manager, Public Health Wales NHS Trust, 3, Number 2, Capital Quarter, Tyndall Street, Cardiff, CF10 4BZ.

If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint or review, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the Trust. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner for Wales
2nd Floor
Churchill House
Churchill Way
CF10 2HH

Telephone: 029 2067 8400