Skip to main content

FOI 2023 40 - Nursing Agency Spend


Information Requested:

Please can you provide me with the Information below?
1.    From 1st January 2023 to 28th February 2023, please list the wards/departments you have requested shifts for off framework agencies in 
your Adult Nursing, Mental Health, Community Hospitals?
2.    From 1st January 2023 to 28th February 2023 have you requested shifts for off framework agencies in your UTC/UCC/MIU?
3.    Please provide me with the name, contact number & email address of the person responsible for agreeing temporary nursing agency contracts for your Trust?
4.    Please provide a list of off-framework agencies used by the trust in the past 3 months

5.    How much was your Off-Framework agency spend for each of the following staff groups between January 1st 2023 – March 10th 2023 (a) RGN’s (b) RCN’s (c) RMN (d) ITU Nurse  (e) A&E Nurse (f) HCA (g) CPN 

6.    How much was your off framework spent for (a) Urgent Treatment Centre (b) Urgent Care Centre (c) Minor Injuries Unit?


Information provided for the answer:

Thank you for your recent request dated 23rd March 2023.


Public Health Wales NHS Trust do not provide the services of local health boards, such as Adult Nursing, Mental Health, or Community Hospital services. We don't employ nurses in the traditional sense of health boards and so wouldn't utilise agencies.

It is important to note that Public Health Wales is the public health service for Wales and as such is an independent NHS Trust. This is NOT the same as NHS Wales. As an organisation we have no jurisdiction over the activities of Health Boards and frequently do not have access to the data that they produce.

I have provided contact details for each Health Board below for you to contact.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board

Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board

Swansea Bay University Health Board

Hywel Dda University Health Board

Powys Teaching Health Board

Freedom of information - Powys Teaching Health Board (


If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of the decision, you should write to the Corporate Complaints Manager, Public Health Wales NHS Trust, 3, Number 2, Capital Quarter, Tyndall Street, Cardiff, CF10 4BZ.

If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint or review, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the Trust. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner for Wales
2nd Floor
Churchill House
Churchill Way
CF10 2HH

Telephone: 029 2067 8400