Published July 2023
1. There were 62 non-intentional water-related fatalities in Wales in children and young people under 25 years of age between 2013 and 2022.
2. Almost half of the fatalities occurred during June, July and August, and Sunday was the most common day.
3. 79% of the children and young people were male.
4. Over half of the fatalities occurred in the 18-24 years age group; this age group were over represented compared with the size of the population.
5. The presence of drugs or alcohol was noted in almost half of fatalities in the 18-24 years age group.
6. Almost half of the children and young people were taking part in activities where they had not intended entering the water when the fatal incident occurred.
7. A third of fatalities occurred in a river and a third occurred at the coast, shore, or beach.
8. Over half of the fatalities occurred in five out of 22 local authorities.
9. In fatalities involving the under 18 years age group who were Welsh residents, the majority (94%) resided in the same local authority in which the incident occurred.
This report is split into 6 sections as set out below, which includes the Background to the report, a Parent story, Measuring the data, Findings, Conclusions and Glossary of terms used in the report.
You can also view the report in PDF format.