Skip to main content

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

If you think you may have CO poisoning

    • Switch off any appliances that may be causing the problem and open the windows
    • Do not use appliances until they are checked by a properly qualified engineer
    • See your GP or local A&E

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas and is very poisonous. It is produced when we burn wood, oil, coal, gas and charcoal for heating and cooking. CO is also produced by faulty or poorly serviced appliances.

More information

For more information on properly qualified engineers contact:
For Gas: Gas Safe Register tel. 0800 408 5500
For Oil: OFTEC tel. 0845 658 5080
For Solid Fuel: HETAS tel. 0845 634 5626
If you think you have been exposed to CO contact the gas Emergency Line on 0800 111999.

The Welsh Government and Public Health England website has further information and guidance about carbon monoxide.