Scientific Lead: Jason Evans
Clinical Lead: Dr Mat Backx
Primary Mycobacterial diagnostics for all Wales
Reference ID, Typing, Susceptibility Testing for Wales & SW England
Direct PCR for M. tuberculosis complex DNA, Mycobacterial species and mutations conferring resistance to rifampicin and isoniazid in respiratory samples, CSF samples, and positive cultures.
Clinical Services offered by the WCM
- Microscopy on primary respiratory and non-respiratory samples
- Primary sample processing of respiratory and non-respiratory samples for mycobacterial culture.
- Identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolates and non-tuberculous mycobacteria.
- Sensitivity testing of M. tuberculosis complex isolates – first and second-line.
- MIRU – VNTR to WGS DNA fingerprinting of M. tuberculosis complex strains.
- Sensitivity testing of clinically significant non-tuberculous mycobacteria isolates on request.
- Latent TB infection detection using QuantiFERON-TB Gold IGRA test - distribution of QFT tubes, receipt and incubation.