Well done that you have stopped smoking. It’s normal in a difficult or stressful time for ex-smokers to get the urge to smoke. Here are some tips which can help you if you feel the urge to smoke.
- Delay – don’t act on urge straight away. Wait and see if the craving passes
- Drink – have a glass of cold water or fruit juice
- Deep breaths – take some deep breaths
- Distract – go and do something else to take you mind off wanting a cigarette
- Write a plan of IF-THEN statements and share with the people who you live with who can support you, e.g. if I feel the urge to smoke because I am bored, then I will ask my partner to give me a task or chore to do to distract me.