Consider protection for yourself when you are providing personal care – by wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as disposable apron and gloves if possible and protect your face.
- Ensure the person has plenty to drink to prevent dehydration - urine must be a pale yellow colour
- Dehydration can cause constipation and therefore pain and behaviour change
- Dehydration can also make the person seem confused
- Use Paracetamol to manage the fever and aches and pains
- Plenty of rest though be aware if the person is becoming excessively drowsy.
- USE THE OBSERVATIONS LISTED ABOVE TO CHECK THE PERSON IS NOT GETTING WORSE
- If concerned call 999 if the person is breathless, excessively drowsy or you are worried about deterioration/getting worse, having done a check
Further guidance for home care providers.