Taking part in screening is your choice. It is important that you understand the benefits and risks of screening to help you decide if taking part is right for you.
What are the benefits of bowel screening?
- Finding bowel cancer early gives you the best chance of survival. At least 9 out of 10 people survive bowel cancer if it is found early.
- Bowel screening can help find bowel cancer early, even if you are well and do not have any symptoms.
- You can complete the bowel test kit at home.
- The bowel test kit is quick and easy to do, with just one small sample of poo needed.
What are the risks of bowel screening?
- Bowel screening is not 100% accurate.
- Some cancers may not be found and some cancers may not be cured.
There may be risks with having further tests. If you need further tests your screening nurse or doctor will talk to you about these.