Screening is a process of identifying apparently healthy people who may be at increased risk of a disease or condition. They can then be offered information, further tests and appropriate treatment to reduce their risk and/or any complications arising from the disease or condition.
The benefits of having a screening test include:
- Screening can detect a problem early, before you have any symptoms.
- Finding out about a problem early can mean that treatment is more effective.
- Finding out you have a health problem or an increased chance of a health problem can help people make better informed decisions about their health.
- Screening can reduce the chance of developing a condition or its complications.
- Some deaths from abdominal aortic aneurysms, bowel cancer, breast cancer and cervical cancer can be prevented.
National Screening Programmes in Wales
Discover more information on how screening programmes in Wales operate