A runny nose, cough or other minor illness are not reasons to delay a flu vaccination.
Children who are unwell with a high temperature should delay vaccination until they are feeling better.
The nasal spray flu vaccine is not recommended for anyone who is:
- Under two years of age
- Aged 18 years of age or older
- On long-term aspirin (salicylate) treatment
- Taking steroid tablets (currently, or in the last two weeks)
- In close contact with someone who has a severely weakened immune system (e.g. after a bone marrow transplant) and is being nursed in a protected environment
or for anyone who has:
- Had a serious life-threatening allergic reaction to a flu vaccine (or any part of it)
- A weakened immune system
- A wheezy chest on the day of the vaccination or in the previous three days
- Increased the use of their asthma inhalers in the previous three days